Disabling integrated graphics on your computer can be a daunting task if you’re not a tech-savvy person. It requires you to have a basic understanding of how your computer works and how to navigate through the system settings. With this step-by-step guide, we’ll make the process easier and faster so you can get back to using your computer without any worries. In this guide, we will go over the steps you need to take to disable integrated graphics on your computer, which will help you to improve the performance of your computer and save you time in the long run.
How To Disable Integrated Graphics?
- When a computer is first being built, it’s important to decide what kind of graphics card you want to put in it. Integrated graphics options are cheap, but they won’t perform as well as a dedicated graphics card.
- The integrated graphics card is built into the computer’s motherboard, so you can’t swap it out for a better one. If you want to play graphically demanding games, edit videos, or do other work that requires a lot of graphics processing power, an integrated graphics card will not be able to meet your needs.
- You’ll most likely have to buy a completely new computer that has a dedicated graphics card, as most computers don’t allow you to upgrade their integrated graphics. Since the integrated graphics are built into the computer’s motherboard, they use your computer’s processing power to work.
- This means that the more you do with your computer, the more processing power the integrated graphics will use, which can slow down your computer in the long run.
Benefits Of Disabling Integrated Graphics
1. Improves Computer Performance
Most users don’t know about this feature, but the integrated graphics cards can make your computer slower if you have many applications, such as games and videos, running at the same time on your computer. Disabling integrated graphics will improve the performance of your computer. By removing the integrated graphics card from your computer, you won’t be using up processing power that would normally be used by the integrated graphics card. Without a dedicated graphics card to use, you won’t experience slowdowns associated with having multiple applications running at once. The only thing holding you back is how much processing power and RAM are in your computer. A faster processor and larger amount of RAM can help improve performance while having multiple applications open at once. If your computer has a powerful processor (a quad-core processor or more) and a decent amount of RAM (4 GB or more) then it would be difficult for any open application to slow it down.
2. Improves Graphics
If you want to play graphically intense games, or edit videos, then you’ll need a dedicated graphics card. You can’t use the integrated graphics card to get the full graphical performance out of your computer. Disabling integrated graphics will allow you to use any high-end graphics card that is compatible with your computer. A brand-new desktop or laptop computer with a dedicated graphics card will look and perform much better than one with an integrated graphics card and won’t slow down.
The integrated graphics cards are built into the motherboard, which means that when it fails, it forces you to buy completely new components from your computer manufacturer instead of being able to replace them yourself. Since most computers don’t allow for this kind of upgrade (i.e., swapping out the integrated graphics card), only people who have been repairing computers for years know how to remove an integrated graphics card from their motherboards and replace the failing graphics card.
4. Easy To Use
Some integrated graphics cards are so large that it takes longer for the computer to boot up after a power failure than it does for an external video card to boot and run the computer. If you bought your computer from a reputable retail store, then they should have tested and installed your new components before you picked it up. However, if you bought your computer online and didn’t see the processor and RAM installed or if it was purchased used, then you may have no idea what is in the computer. Because of this, some people just leave their existing integrated graphics card instead of buying a new one online (they never thought about removing the old one). The lesson is that most people don’t know how to remove existing integrated graphics cards or what hardware is in their computers when they purchase them online or at a garage sale.
5. Noise Level/Temperature During Computer Use
No matter what type of graphics card you use, they all produce a small amount of noise that is audible during the boot process. However, some graphics cards will run hotter than others during the computer’s use. Usually, a graphics card with a fan will be more efficient and almost silent, helping you to keep your computer cooler and quieter during the booting process. On the other hand, older graphics cards did not have fans and it was easier to cool them using various methods such as placing them on top of a box of frozen food or putting them in an airtight briefcase in the freezer. The lesson is that if you are thinking about purchasing a new graphics card for improving your computer’s speed or for better performance then consider factors such as noise when choosing one.
Integrated video can also make it hard for users who have disabilities to see their videos or pictures since they can’t see what is on their monitor because it is behind another type of device.
Step-By-Step Guide To Disabling Integrated Graphics.
- If you want to disable integrated graphics, you will need to access your computer’s BIOS (Basic Input and Output System). This is a list of instructions on each keyboard key if it is not displayed in the list.
- Once you have accessed your computer’s BIOS, select the “GRAPHICS ADAPTER SETUP” option.
- Press the F1 key and select “NONE” as the type of display device. For those with more than one graphics card on their computers, make sure that you disable all types of devices first using this method to prevent any problems while removing any graphics cards that could cause your computer problems later without you knowing it. Once it has been disabled, then one can use another method to remove it from the motherboard’s list of device options.
- Next, the operating system should automatically recognize that integrated graphics is not connected. To remove it, go to your computer’s “Display” options and change the “Type of Display” option to “VGA (or any other type of device)”. Once the changes have been made, reboot the computer for them to take effect.
- After you have either disabled or removed integrated graphics from your computer, download a free program called TwinView which allows users with 2 computers to use both computers at the same time/same screen. This allows users to independently adjust settings on each computer and see their work on both screens at the same time which provides an easier way for users who are constantly switching between 2 devices both with a mouse and keyboard attached.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
- If after disabling integrated graphics drivers still keep on downloading, try to make sure that you have the latest drivers first before continuing the troubleshooting steps. For integrated graphics information, his article explains what to do when this is happening and how to fix it.
- If the video driver is not being loaded properly after disabling or removing integrated graphics, check your computer’s BIOS settings again to see if there is a compatibility issue with your motherboard or another component in the computer.
- An alternative method for users who are unable to access their computer’s BIOS would be to disable integrated graphics from their BIOS and then change the Catalyst Control Center option to “NVidia Hybrid Graphics” instead of “Integrated Graphics”. In this case, after rebooting, you should be able to see NVidia hybrid instead of integrated video which will allow you to use them both at once instead of only using one at a time or not seeing either one at all.
- If you are still experiencing problems and wish to restore integrated graphics, the first thing you should do is disable it again (also make sure that you have copied your old driver files to a safe location first). This time, download the latest drivers for your device from NVidia’s website and install them. Afterward, enable integrated graphics as well as check that the display driver is being loaded properly.
- Another issue with integrated graphics may be that your computer does not have a compatible video card installed in it. If this were the case, then one can replace their current video card with one that will work with their motherboard and install it afterward after saving any changes to those settings so they can go back to the original settings if they want to later on.
Disabling integrated graphics can be a great way to increase your computer’s performance, reduce the risk of overheating, and save you money in the long run. However, it can be a difficult process for someone who has never done it before, so it’s important to follow this step-by-step guide to make the process easier and faster. If you follow this guide, you should have no problems disabling integrated graphics on your computer.